Friday, May 27, 2011

Vitamin D Deficiency

Yesterday I called my doctor to find out my blood test results.  I had gone to her the previous week, after experiencing several days of tingling hands and general weakness following a digestive issue.

Initially, she'd thought I'd had a Vitamin B-12 deficiency or a bacterial infection.  I was kinda hoping for a B-12 shot, having heard it gives you great energy.  (I've been largely caffeine-free for about nine years, so I can't just rely on coffee any more for a boost....)

It turns out I have a Vitamin D deficiency.  It comes as a bit of a surprise, since I use a women's multi-vitamin every day that has 1,000 iu of Vitamin D....250% of the RDA.  But if the digestive issue was preventing proper absorption, it would follow that the vitamins that I thought I was getting are just getting flushed out of my system.

The good news is that it's getting sunny again after over a week-long spell of rain and cloud cover here in the Northeast.  I've read that 15 minutes of daily sun exposure can help the body make its own Vitamin D, and with my daughter's enthusiasm for the playground, I'm sure to get more than I need this summer.

In the meantime, the doctor suggested I take Citracal with Vitamin D.  I just hope it gets absorbed better than my multi-vitamin, since otherwise I'm just duplicating efforts.

Has anyone else been diagnosed with a Vitamin D deficiency?  What were your symptoms?

No comments:

Post a Comment