Thursday, May 26, 2011

Food Review: Starbucks Caramel

Rating:  *****
I'm not a huge Starbucks fan, since their coffee seems overpriced and over-roasted to me, but I used to go once in a blue moon to indulge in a caramel frappuccino. So when I saw this in the grocer's freezer aisle on sale, I grabbed it.


That was about a year ago.  Let's just say that this flavor, vanilla and coffee ice creams swirled with a caramel ribbon, is now my FAVORITE ice cream, perhaps ever. 


I go into convulsions of 'mmm-ing' and closed-eye reverie.  I never eat it in front of anyone, even my husband, since it might make him a little jealous.   The ice cream is a perfect match of flavors -- the coffee flavor is not too strong, the caramel is not too thick, the vanilla is smooth and complements the stronger flavors perfectly.  I used to love Ben and Jerry's, but now that most of their flavors have enormous chunks of things in them, candy, nut or otherwise, I find that I crave the smooth textured ice creams in their stead.


When I'm running low on my favorite ice cream, I add Hagen Daaz vanilla to the mix to extend the life expectancy of the Caramel Macchiato pint.  By the way, I appreciate the fact that it's a whole pint, yes 16 ounces, instead of a paltry 14 ounces that Hagen Daaz and other brands have shrunk too.


I also appreciate the fact that it doesn't make me wired -- I don't think there's much caffeine in a single serving.  The coffee flavor is balanced, but not crazy strong like espresso.


5-Stars, my fave.  I just hope you don't go to the same grocery store I do or we'll run into some inventory trouble.  Happy eating!

1 comment: